Friday, August 7, 2009

The Simpsons, Politics, and Guilty Pleasures


I'm back. Sorry I've been out for so long. Had a great week of vacation last week. My wife had company over from California and it was a blast. Suffice it to say I was dead tired. Then I come back to work and it is hectic. A very busy week. So what did I do to relax? I watched the Simpsons of course. I'm a huge fan of the show in it's first ten seasons or so, and I scored a great deal on the box sets from seasons four and five at $14.99 each. So I've been religiously watching them and am almost done. I already have seasons two and three, and season six is still sitting on the shelf for $14.99 at my local Wal Mart waiting for me to snatch it up. Gotta snag that one before it's gone.

Work still has me a bit stressed right now, as well as politics and the state of America at this moment. Let me first say that this is not a political blog and loathe talking publicly of politics. I am an Independent and a do not associate myself with any political party. There are good and bad aspects to both major parties. If you have been keeping up with the news, what I'm about to say will make perfect sense to you. I am horrified at the way the Obama administration is treating protesters to health care reform and cap in trade. The American people have a clear opposition to these two bills. Senators and Congressmen should listen to their constituents' outrage over these two matters. These are the people that they are working for, and the people are the ones who put them in power. Instead they treat these protesters as radicals and consider them a threat to national security. These politicians refuse to listen, and discount these protesters as fringe lunatics. It seems like the party in power here wishes to hush any opposition to it's beliefs. This is frightening to me. Let the voices of the American people be heard. It is unbelievable to me that our government would be trying to silence the anger of it's people. Imagine what would have happened if George W. Bush tried to silence protesters of the Iraq war? To all Americans...be careful out there. If you haven't read George Orwell's "1984", you should because that book is becoming more and more of a reality day by day.

So I've been relaxing with a few guilty pleasures: The Simpsons...and The Food Network, because I love food and I love cooking. What about you out there? Do you have any guilty pleasures?

No comments: