Friday, November 27, 2009

THE CRANES



The Cranes. "Forever"(1993) and "Wings of Joy"(1991). I used to have both of these albums on tape many years ago. They have been lost a long time now in the audio cassette afterlife. I would like to say they have gone to heaven. Been thinking about this band for a while now, their songs whispering their way back into my head like old spider webs. Now I can't take it any more. I must have these two albums again.

For those of you who aren't familiar, The Cranes are a British dark pop band that began in the late 1980's and peaked in the early to mid 1990's. And the phrase "dark pop" is an understatement. Alison Shaw's vocals are the most macabre I have ever heard. She sounds like the ghost of a little girl, lost in the netherworld, trying to communicate with the living...her voice is so fragile, so beautiful, so terrifying. The music is perfect, so ethereal and full of shadow and light but never pretentious. You know you've heard the perfect Cranes song because it will always give you the chills. There is something seriously messed up about their sound, a feeling that hits you in the gut and takes your breath away, a feeling of dread that creeps up your spine and never goes away. This is the stuff true nightmares are made of.

Both "Forever" and "Wings of Joy" come highly recommended, with "Forever" being the stronger of the two. Must have both of them back in my collection.



From "Wings of Joy".



My personal favorite Cranes track, "Starbood" is. Also from 'Wings of Joy". Do not listen to this alone in the dark.



Great song from "Forever". Excuse the poor video quality. All I could find.

No comments: