Saturday, June 13, 2009

A FEW OF MY FAVORITE SONGS FROM THE DAWN OF THE DEAD REMAKE

Here's a few of my favorite songs from Zack Snyder's 2004 remake of 'Dawn of the Dead". As a movie, I had mixed feelings about this one. If you look at the movie strictly as a remake of George Romero's 1978 classic you will be disappointed. If you go into the movie as I did, with an open mind, you will be blown away. This is one of the most violently depressive movies I have ever seen. It is a thoroughly modern re-working of Romero"s story. While this movie may fall behind the original in some aspects, it makes up for it in others. One strong point is the character development. The characters are much more fleshed out than the original. You really and truly care about these people and you do not want to see them die. Another strong point is the choice of music. It really drives the dark sense of hopelessness that our characters find themselves in.

The first great song in the film is Johnny Cash's "When the Man Comes Around"...a perfect apocalyptic opening to the film. Then there is Richard Cheese's ironic and cynical lounge version of The Disturbed's "Down With the Sickness". These two songs rank amongst my all time favorites strictly because of the power they hold with this movie.

I've tried to find the best versions of these songs that I can. For some reason the Internet copyright gods do not want to make it easy to stream these two songs. I've done my best.



No comments: