Saturday, March 14, 2009

WINO'S "PUNCTUATED EQUILIBRIUM"


Ok. It's rare these days that I get a new album or movie in my hands to review for you. With my wife and I's hours cut due to the economy, we don't have much extra cash to spare on luxury items. I have a huge backlog of music and movies from my years and years of collecting to review for you here, so don't worry, I will never run out of material. It is nice though when I have something that is new to me to review for you, and yesterday I was fortunate enough to be able to pick up Wino's brand new album "Punctuated Equilibrium".

"Punctuated Equilibrium" is without a doubt Wino's best work since he left Saint Vitus. Don't get me wrong, The Obsessed and Spirit Caravan are still great, but there is something about this album that is more exceptionally focused and well executed than his other efforts. "Punctuated Elibrium" is the perfect psych/hippie/doom metal album. It is an addictive brew mixed with equal parts Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Motorhead, Hawkwind, and Helios Creed. Wino's guitar playing is incredible. He is the master of the ungodly, sinister, earth moving, almighty riff. His guitar solos channel all kinds of psychedelic demons. There are evil, hip shaking, head banging grooves all over the place. Nasty sounding, grungy, spacey chords abound. The sparse use of keybaords here and there is nice. Wino's Lemmy meets Ozzy vocals are in top form. The songwriting is tight and loaded with hooks. What is surprising about this record is Wino's foray into space rock on some of the tracks towards the end such as "Wild Blue Yonder". Helios or Hawkwind couldn't have done it any better. The longer, spacey instrumental tracks (there are only a few) are just as strong as the songs with vocals. There is not a weak moment on here. If you're into Saint Vitus, The Obsessed, Spirit Caravan, or into doom/hippie/stoner/psychedelic metal in any form go out and pick this one up now. It will not disappoint.

Here's "Release Me", the opening track. Enjoy, you gotta pick this one up.

No comments: