Sunday, February 15, 2009

ASTRUD GILBERTO


I don't know what is. I guess I'm just sick of the gloomy cold days of winter and I'm longing for brighter, sunnier days and the opportunity to head down to the beach the first chance I get. I've been listening to a lot of Astrud Gilberto lately. Hers is the perfect music to fit my longing for the warmer, brighter days ahead. Her voice is sultry, soothing, and sexy. Her music is perfect, laid back, and sophisticated Brazilian bossanova and jazz. I cannot recommend her music enough. It transports you to a different world, puts you in a better mood, and whisks you away from your day to day troubles. There is a lingering sadness in her work, but that just adds to the sophistication and appeal of her music. The song she is best known for is "The Girl from Ipanema", a masterpiece, one of the best songs ever written. The best and really only CD you need by her is the compilation "Compact Jazz: Astrud Giberto" released by Verve in 1990. I can't get enough of this CD.

Here's "The Girl from Ipanema", a duet sang with her husband. His vocals are in Portuguese, hers are in English.







The Girl from Ipanema - Astrud Gilberto

And here's "Once I Loved". Enjoy!







Once I Loved - Astrud Gilberto

No comments: