Monday, February 9, 2009

THE PSB GALLERY OF THRIFT STORE ART







I love thrift store artwork. The three one-of-a-kind paintings pictured above are ones that I would die to have hanging on my wall. I'm addicted to these misunderstood, neglected, saddening, and mind blowing works of art. Just because somebody does not have the artistic talent to get their work out into the serious art world does not mean they do not have a vision. And a strong vision they may have too, no matter how misguided it may be. Some of these artists could make it into fine art museums but something about their work is too intense, too out of proportion, or too personal to make into it the mainstream. Let these works of art live. Get them out there and give them publicity even if someone only paid five dollars for it at a thrift store. That's why I love places such as the PSB Gallery of Thrift Store Art. They are working hard to keep the one-of-a-kind never to be reproduced visions of these artists alive and immortalized. You can find the paintings pictured above there plus many, many more, so you should drop on by and see the kind of eye candy they have on display there. There are other sites that serve as museums of thrift store art as well but I have found this one to be the most exhaustive.
I love collecting thrift store art myself and have a modest collection of it. I'm going to be putting together a display of some of my thrift store art treasures and posting it soon, so stay tuned.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Coolness. Will check it out.