Wednesday, February 18, 2009

NERVOUS NORVUS

Nevous Norvus. I first discovered his music in John Water's insane cult film "Female Trouble". The song was "Dig" and it cracks me up in disbelief every time I hear it. Nervous Norvus, starting in 1956 crafted jittery, sometimes annoying but always addictive novelty music with a hepcat attitude and way out there beat lyrics that verge on dada. I love his stuff. His first single was 'Tranfusion", a deranged song about the dangers of reckless driving. He followed with the nonsensical"Dig", the science fiction, beatnik opus "The Fang", and other singles. He kept recording throughout the 1950's. By the time 1960's rolled around, his life sank into mystery. He passed away in 1968 from cirrhosis of the liver.

Here's a sampling of his lyrics, from "The Fang":
"I got a be-bop cat, man, a real stingaree
And a solid gold keychain down to the knees
And real nervous pegs with a crazy crease
I'm the Fang "

Here's the songs "Dig" and "Transfusion".









Transfusion - Nervous Norvus

I have a small handful of his singles that Ive downloaded from the internet here and there. There is a comprehensive CD collection of his works called "Stoneage Woo" on Norton Records that I'm going to have to break down and buy soon.
There is a great article on Nervous Norvus you can read here. Hope you get as much of a kick out of his stuff as I do.

No comments: