Tuesday, December 23, 2008

JOY DIVISION

JOY DIVISION. Stark, depressive, bleak. The perfect soundtrack to a gray landscape, cold and minimalistic, yet emotive. Ian Curtis's vocals are haunting, offering a glimpse into a world in which there is no hope. The music is simple and catchy, yet devastating, like a much, much darker version of Gary Numan's Tubeway Army. Joy Division was only around for about four years, forming in 1976 and breaking apart after their singer hung himself in 1980. Here's "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and "Transmission".



3 comments:

David Kames said...

Ah Steve, well done!
Perfect choice for this time of year - I'll be driving North next week, and I always like to play The Smiths, Joy Division and New Order as I pass by Manchester.
(If I go through in the summer I play the Happy Mondays and the 28 days later soundtrack.)

Plus, I don't know what the weather is like in ole Miss. but here in England we are enjoying seasonal cloud cover and early sunsets (like 4pm.) Playing
Isolation as I walk round town.

Are you keen on John Cooper Clarke?

Steve Smith said...

The weather is crazy in the winter here. It goes from being in the 70's to the 20's and 30's, sometimes in the course of a few days. Right now it is gloomy and cold, a perfect time for some Joy Division and the like.

I can't say I've heard of John Cooper Clarke.

David Kames said...

Steve, rejoice for I have come amongst you, lo I am baring news of the greatest poet of the western world, the Bard of Salford, the boy friend of Nico out of the Velvet Underground and star of the 1980s UK TV campaign for Sugar Puffs - JCC.

I hope I haven't built him up to much.

Head over to my blog in about ten minutes, I shall bring forth embedded videos and links to lyric sheets.