Saturday, December 13, 2008

MOTORHEAD: THE ACE OF SPADES

Motorhead. No matter if you love 'em or hate 'em, you can't deny their influence on metal and hard rock in general over the past three decades. After leaving the space rock band Hawkwind in the early mid 1970's, Lemmy came foward on his own in full force with Motorhead. With a biker image, blazing fast tempos, deafening guitars and growling vocals, biker metal was born, and rock and roll became exciting again. Not until the insurgence of punk in the late 1970's would there be anything that approached their energy.

Here's one of my favorite tracks, the classic "Ace of Spades".



2 comments:

David Kames said...

Ah memories!
Motorhead were the first band I bought an actual album by (before that I'd only ever bought greatest hits and compilations.)
I was very into them around the time I was 13. I particularly remember I used to have them playing in the background while I wrote history essays on the workhouses and World War 2 on the home front. They were also a subject of "bonding" between myself and my uncle; a man with a large and varied LP collection who is responsible for about 50% of music education.

I'll always be very grateful to Motorhead, and Hawkwind, and Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin - they led me to punk rock and to blues (proper blues by black Americans.)

Steve, have you read White Line Fever? Gives us what we expect from Lemmy - lots of stories about sex, Jack Daniels and why heroin is bad.

Steve Smith said...

Motorhead was one of the first really heavy bands I listened to. The first album I bought by them was their live one, "No Sleep at All" at the age of 15 as well. Along with Metalica's "Master of Puppets" and Slayer's "South of Heaven", Motorhead was one of those bands that led on to punk,blues ond other forms of music. I love Hawkwind too. Haven't posted about then yet but I will. No I haven't read "White Line Fever" but I will definitly check it out.